A sad story was released today. An undercover investigator for PETA has released a video documenting workers throwing live chickens, hitting them with fists, and urinating in an area where the live birds were shackled.
Also, chickens in general are treated so poorly. Take these facts into consideration:
1. Six to seven chickens are crammed together inside cages the size of a sheet of paper.
2. In order to prevent them from pecking at each other under such stressful circumstances, chickens have their sensitive beaks seared off with a hot blade.
3. When their worn-out bodies stop producing eggs, hens are sometimes "force-moulted" – during which they are kept in darkness and deprived of food and water for up to 14 days to shock their bodies into another laying cycle.
4. Ammonia fumes from their accumulated feces burn their throats and eyes and cause most birds to lose their feathers and develop blistering, ulcerated feet as well as breast and hock burns.
5. Many chickens are grabbed by their frail legs and wings – often causing broken bones – and stuffed inside cages for a long journey to the slaughterhouse, where they are hung upside-down in metal shackles and dragged through an electrified water bath. Many escape the electric shocks, only to have their throats slit and be dumped in scalding-hot defeathering tanks while they are still conscious.
For these reasons, I have started buying only "free range" chickens. Do not confuse this with organic. Organic just means they are fed organic feed, but does not mean they weren't trapped in these horrific conditions.
I encourage all of you to do the same. I bought a dozen eggs last night at Stop and Shop for only $1.99. Thus, they are not even any more costly than regular eggs.