Good week for:
1. Old rock stars and arachniphobes, as a University of East Carolina biologist discovered a new species of spider and named it after his favorite musical artist, Neil Young (Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi). Oh those crazy scientists! No word yet on how Neil Young feels about his glorious honor.
2. Gangsta rapper wanna-be kids, as the state senate in Louisiana has voted AGAINST droopy-pants. I hate the look, but have to admit that this shouldn't be regulated by state (or federal governments).
3. Dogs' keen sense of smell, as a dog that ran away a pit-stop some 77 miles from the owners home, has somehow found his way back home a week later. I have to admit, I don't think many humans would be able to find their way home if dropped off somewhere that was 77 miles from home.
Bad week for:
1. Imitating Seigfried and Roy, as a Romanian man was arrested for rearing a lion in his backyard. It reminds me of one of the amazing wildlife videos I have ever seen. I have posted the link of the video from youtube, which follows the battle between a poor little baby buffalo vs. a pride of lions, and then a herd of buffalo vs. a pride of lions. It's 8 minutes, but take a break from your crazy day and watch it...it is memorable.
2. Being an "aged" presidential candidate, as John McCain's age continues to be ridiculed by some of the press and bloggers. Check out this blog (provided by blog fan in a recent post in the comments section): http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/
However, lest you think McCain is going to roll-over, let's remember one of the most witty comebacks in Presidential election history as 73 year old Ronald Reagan said at the start of his 2nd debate against Walter Mondale in 1984, "I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." This resulted in a roar of laughter from the audience, and, in fact, from Mondale himself, who years later admitted to Jim Lehrer in an interview that he realized at that moment that the election was over. Mondale went on to lose the election decisively, as Reagan carried 49 states, compared to Mondale's one (his home state of Minnesota).
3. Flying "coach" (I mean, "toilet"), as a man allowed on a overbooked flight had to sit in the bathroom on the San Diego to New York flight. He is suing Jet Blue because of his "tremendous fear" without a seatbelt while sitting on the toilet. His he suing despite the pilot informing him that he should feel lucky to be on the plane in the first place. Let's face it, he sure could have gotten a LOT of reading done while sitting on the toilet for that long.