1. Astronauts at the International Space Station will soon get their drinking water from some weird sources. Engineers have devised a system that will purify urine and capture moisture from evaporated sweat and laundry water. This sounds disgusting but it does make sound physiologic sense. I've always said that urine is "liquid gold", and now it will only become more valuable!
2. A restaurant in NYC is selling a hamburger for $175. I do not understand this. There is no way it can taste that good. I also feel that high-priced wines at restaurants are somewhat ridiculous. After the price gets above about $50 per bottle, it is very difficult to discern any difference in taste and quality of the wine. Do you agree?
3. An appeals court in D.C. has ruled that paper money is discriminatory against blind people. I've never thought about this, but it is true that it is impossible for the blind to pick out between different demoninations of paper money.
A quote from the article:
...People in their 30s and 40s should know that, when they get older, "they will be able to identify their $1 bills from their fives, tens and twenties," said Pomerantz, of the Council of the Blind.
No worries, our dollar is becoming so weak, that the $5 bill will soon only be worth $1!
4. "Catch me if you can"...a pilot and stewardess were caught naked in the woods in Pennsylvania. Apparently, neighbors saw the naked man and woman, called the authorities, and a helicopter with heat-seekers was called in to locate them. Don't you think that is a little extreme? Calling in "Blue Thunder" to capture 2 horny 20-year olds? I'm sure taxpayer money could be better spent.
5. Donkey behind bars- get this...in Mexico, a donkey has been jailed for biting and kicking 2 men. It was put in a regular human prison. That would be a tough cell-mate. Maybe if U.S. authorities arrested aggressive and dangerous animals and put them in jail here, it would serve as a good crime deterrent.
Money quote from the article:
"Around here, if someone commits a crime they are jailed," Gomez said — "nohttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_fe_st/odd_mexico_jailed_burro;_ylt=AuVQla7He_hExw6ufuUetwgDW7oF
matter who they are."